Foreign visas

If you are a foreigner and are travelling to Spain for a stay of no longer than 90 days during a six-month period, you will need:

Personal documentation

  • Valid passport or travel document.
  • Valid for up to 3 months from the anticipated date of departure from the Schengen Area and it must have been issued within the previous 10 days.
  • The United Kingdom and Ireland do not belong to the Schengen Area, so a passport is required for these destinations.
  • A minor travelling with their national ID card (DNI) must have written permission from their parents.
  • Children under 16 years old can be included in their parents’ passports.


  • Citizens of third countries subject to visa requirements will also need a current visa, unless they have a valid residency permit or a valid long-term visa issued by another EU Member State.
  • In these two situations, visitors can travel for a maximum of 90 days in any period of 180 days within the territory of the other Schengen States, provided they are in possession of a valid passport or travel document.
They must also:
  • Justify the purpose and conditions of their stay.
  • Prove they have sufficient means of subsistence for their stay in Spain.
  • Not pose a danger to public health (showing health certificates, when applicable), public order, national security or Spain’s international relations, or those of other countries with which Spain has an agreement to this effect.
  • They cannot appear on the national list of alerts for refusal of entry of the Member State.

Tourist or private trips

  • Proof of their accommodation or a personal letter of invitation (under no circumstances shall this override the need to fulfil the other requirements for entry) if they will be staying at this person’s home, issued by the police station that corresponds to their place of residence.
  • Booking confirmation of an organised trip, with the itinerary.
  • Return ticket or ticket for a tourist itinerary.
  • Proof of sufficient means of subsistence. The minimum amount is €90 per person per day, with a minimum of €810 or its legal equivalent in foreign currency.

Business trips

  • Invitation from a company or authority to participate in commercial, industrial and similar meetings, conventions, etc.
  • Document accrediting commercial, industrial or similar relations.
  • Access passes for fairs, congresses, conventions, etc.
  • Invitations, access cards, reservations or programmes indicating, whenever possible, the name of the inviting body and the duration of the stay or any other document that indicates the purpose of the visit.

Study trips

  • Document certifying registration at an educational institution for participation in theoretical and practical training courses.
  • Certificates related to the courses being taken.

Airport transit visa

  • Foreigners are in airport transit when they are authorised to remain in the international transit area of a Spanish airport without entering national territory during flight layovers or connections.
  • For further information about airport transit visas visit the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, European Union and Cooperationwebsite.