In Spain, the entire VAT refund process for travellers is digital, through using the DIVA system:
- - When shopping, ask the vendor for the electronic tax free form (called the “electronic reimbursement document”).
- - When leaving Spain, before checking your baggage, you must electronically validate the electronic reimbursement documents for the purchases. To do so, go to the DIVA screens in the airport check-in areas.
Always remember to carry:
- The receipts and the DIVA form.
- The goods for which you are requesting the refund. Without goods, there is no stamp.
- Boarding card or ticket.
Using the DIVA screens
- Select the language.
- Scan the barcode on the form with the optical reader.
- The system can give two results:
- - Your DIVA tax free form has been stamped. The processing is finished.
- - Your DIVA tax free form cannot be validated. In this case, you must go to the Civil Guard’s receipt stamping office next to the screens.
No physical document is issued with the validation result. You can check the status of the process using the CSV (secure verification code) number on the form by accessing: https://www.agenciatributaria.gob.es/AEAT.sede/tramitacion/ZZ05.shtml
Requirements for requesting a VAT refund
- Regular residence outside of the European Union (or in the Canary Islands, Ceuta or Melilla).
- Your purchases must be personal; not for commercial purposes.
- You are required to leave the European Union within the three months following your purchases.