In 1930 the City Council launched its first campaign to build an airport. In February 1930, the construction project was approved and building began on terrain six kilometres south of the city, near the village of Noaín, on the road from Madrid to Pamplona.
During the Spanish Civil War the aerodrome was used sporadically by the Nationalists' aviation. The facilities were abandoned after the war.
In November 1965, the construction of the Real Aeroclub de Navarra was approved, with headquarters at Noaín. In 1968 the Ministry of Aviation approved the construction of a 500-metre runway. Building began the following year and that same year the aerodrome was inaugurated.
On 5 July 1972, Noaín Airport was opened for civilian domestic air traffic and was classified as category three. The next day, the airline Aviaco began a regular route to Madrid, which flew three times a week in 1975.
In February 1975, work began on the airfield's runway lighting. The following year, a power plant was built.
At the end of the eighties a CAT I instrument landing system (ILS) was installed at departure point 16 and plans were implemented to provide Pamplona airport with navigation aids at departure point 34.
In October 1991, the passenger terminal was partly demolished and building work began on a new 2,600 square metre building, which was opened on 11 November 1992.
In November 1993, work began on extending the paved areas and public car parks. The extension increased vehicle parking to 340 spaces for normal parking, 24 for hire cars, and 6 for buses.
In 2005-2010, Aena made substantial investments to provide Pamplona Airport with facilities meeting the needs of airlines and passengers, and enabling top quality services. The projects launched at this time included the new terminal, extending the apron for aircraft and the public car park, and a new control tower. Also, in 2010, the runway was extended by 200 metres, and now measures 2,407 metres. This brought the airport into line with the requirements of some airlines, enabling the take-off of jet planes, such as the Boeing 737, fully laden and in unfavourable temperatures and humidity conditions.
The construction project was approved and building began on land six kilometres south of the city, near the village of Noaín, on the road from Madrid to Pamplona.
The construction of the Real Aeroclub de Navarra was approved, with its headquarters at Noaín.
A 500 m long runway was built and the aerodrome opened.
The airport opened for domestic civilian passenger air traffic and was classified as category three. The following day, the Aviaco airline started regular flights to Madrid.
On 11 November, a new 2,600 square metre terminal opened, after the partial demolition of the previous building.
After years of considerable investment, including expanding the aircraft apron and the public car park, and building a new control tower, in November, a new 12,400 square metre terminal building came into operation, with improved access roads and development of the area.