Aena — TRAVEL
Create your perfect experience
Discover and plan the best experiences and events.Discover Aena Travel
This FAQ section contains information that will be regularly updated and expanded as the project moves forward.
1. How are AENA and investments in its Infrastructures funded? How is it decided where to invest?
2. How does the public benefit from AENA revenue?
3. How does Josep Tarradellas Barcelona-El Prat Airport contribute economically to Catalonia and in terms of current and future employment?
4. Where does this airport stand in terms of the main hubs in Europe? What connectivity does it offer? Which long-haul routes are operated here?
5. Why should the airport be developed in spite of the reduction in traffic caused by the pandemic?
6. Have the possible changes in business, trade show and conference flights been taken into consideration? What impact might teleworking have on future airport business?
7. What future options are available to the airport depending on the chosen strategy?
8. What are the limitations on and possibilities for the airfield at this airport for hub operations?
9. Why can’t all aircraft models take off from the seaside runway (which is shorter)? Where do they take off from now?
10. What technological and operational steps should be taken to achieve the 90 operations/hour authorised in the 2002 Environmental Impact Statement?
11. Which factors influence an airline’s decision to launch a long-haul route?
12. Why is there no need to build the Satellite Terminal if 90 operations/hour cannot be achieved? What sort of traffic would be served by the Satellite Terminal?
13. Is long-haul growth important for the development of air freight?
14. What measures are implemented by the Llobregat Delta Airport on the coastal land it owns?
15. What would the New Llobregat Delta Natural Areas be like?
16. What procedures and approvals must be followed before commencing works? When should the works commence to avoid saturating the Airport?
17. Would operating as a hub airport be possible without developing Josep Tarradellas Barcelona-El Prat Airport and using Reus Airport or Girona-Costa Brava Airport instead?
18. Would it be possible to operate a hub with long-distance feed by rail? What capacity would be freed up if flight journeys with a high-speed rail alternative of less than 3 hours were excluded?
19. Is intermodality with rail important?
20. Does future passenger growth up to 70 million passengers refer to a final destination in the city of Barcelona and its Metropolitan Area?
21. What does complementarity with Girona-Costa Brava Airport and Reus Airport mean?
22. Can an airline be forced to operate at a specific airport? How does slot allocation work?
23. What is stated in the letter of formal notice from the European Commission on the previous airport expansion?
24. What is the volume of CO2 emissions from air transport in Europe?
25. Is air quality acceptable in the area around JT Barcelona-El Prat Airport?
26. Does the airport have a Sustainability Plan? What does the AENA Climate Action Plan cover?
27. What is SAF? Will hydrogen be used for aircraft propulsion?
28. What is the Airport City? What synergies exist between the Airport City and the hub?
More information about the Josep Tarradellas Barcelona-El Prat hub development project