The Commercial Air Lines Pran, introduced by the Council of Ministers in January 1928, declares the Vigo-A Coruña-Gijon-Santander-Bilbao-San Sebastian line and vice-versa to be a public service of general interest Just one month later, on 24 February, another royal decree authorised the use of the port at A Coruña for hydro-aviation purposes, indicating that this was a temporary measure until a land airport could be built for the city. Nevertheless, neither of these two provisions led to air traffic in A Coruña and, for a variety of reasons, the airport did not become a reality until the 1960s.
The founding of the Aeroclub de Santiago and the drive to build the Labacolla airport, inaugurated in 1935, plus the orographic and meteorological difficulties in the A Coruña area, are just some of the reasons behind the delay in the construction of the city's airport. The first airport project for the city was approved by the Council of Ministers on 11 September 1953 and included the construction of an airfield on the Alvedro plateau, adequate for the construction of a Type C aerodrome, the project being classified as urgent. Subsequent projects included the construction of an apron and passenger terminal to the west of the runway.
In 1961, a radio beacon and the power plant generators were installed and, the following year, construction began on the terminal, runway signalling and development in the terminal area. Work on the control tower began at the end of 1962 and was completed the following year with the construction of a service building. Road connections from the airport to A Coruña and Santiago were the responsibility of the provincial authorities, and these works were carried out throughout 1962. It was also during this year that the Flight Protection Directorate completed the navigational aid facilities for the airport.
Opening to civil traffic
The A Coruña–Alvedro airport was opened to domestic civil air traffic by virtue of a decree passed in May 1963. The official inauguration took place on 25 May, coinciding with the first flight of the Madrid-A Coruña line by the commercial airline Aviaco.
During the winter of 1964, the Vigo-A Coruña-Santander-San Sebastian-Barcelona line was inaugurated, serviced by Convair 440 planes. This experience lasted for just one year and was restarted in 1971 with F-27 planes, again with limited success. The airport received its first charter flights, from Switzerland and London, at the end of the 1960s. In November 1979, a customs office was created at the A Coruña airport, permitting the processing of customs clearance for both passengers and cargo.
In 1986, the southern departure point was expanded on the airport runway and, in 1987, a by-pass was built for the N-550 road, which made it possible to extend the runway at the northern departure point. Two years later, in May 1989, the airport was closed to traffic to carry out a series of works leading, amongst other things, to the rotation of the runway orientation by one degree and twelve arc minutes. A PAPI visual landing aid system was installed on the new runway, followed in December by an ILS system.
The airport reopened to air traffic on 28 April 1990 and, on 11 May, scheduled flights to Madrid and Barcelona were launched, initially serviced by DC-9 planes and subsequently by Aviaco's MD-88 model.
In 1994, the number of passengers at A Coruña airport rose dramatically to 259,000, leading to the decision to construct a new terminal building, develop the surrounding area and expand the aircraft parking. On 19 December 1995, the new facilities were opened, including a new terminal and an aircraft parking apron.
Since then, Aena has carried out and implemented a number of actions, such as the expansion of the passenger terminal, with the installation of airbridges, and the extension of the apron. Furthermore, in 2001, the cargo terminal became operational.