From the beginning of the 1910s, the province of Gipuzkoa had two airfields – Ondarreta and Lasarte – apart from the bay of San Sebastian, suitable for use by seaplanes. In 1920, a group of enthusiasts from the town of Irun put forward a proposal to the Ministry of Public Words for the construction of an airport in their town. The site chosen was known as Playaundi, in the mouth of the river Bidasoa, measuring around 800 by 400 metres.
During the decade of the 1920s, the Ministry of Public Works authorised several air routes: in 1922, the San Sebastian-Madrid route; in 1924, the San Sebastian-Canary Islands and, in 1926, San Sebastian-Tenerife.
The National Airports Plan of 1929 recognised the convenience of having an aerodrome near the border, close to Irun and San Sebastian. The Town Halls of Irun and San Sebastian and the Provincial Council offered the lands of Playaundi for the siting of the airport, as well as economic assistance to carry out the works. In the December of 1931, due to the technical and economic difficulties in building the airport, it lost the classification of national airport. The management was paralysed and, in September 1934 the Irun Airport Council was dissolved.
In the decade of the 50s, with the development of air transport in Spain, the need for an airport in Gipuzkoa was reconsidered. In 1952, with the necessary projects drawn up, the works for constructing an airport in the Bidasoa estuary, in the municipality of Fuenterrabia, was given urgent priority.
Inauguration and opening for traffic
The airport was inaugurated on the 22 August 1955, and on 29 August, was officially opened to full national and international tourist traffic, as well as for technical stopovers. Aviaco began its scheduled flights four days later. It had a runway 05-23 with a length of 1,200 metres. However, the operations for runway 23 obliged planes to fly over French territory, which provoked the French government's immediate protest. Also, the lack of facilities at the airport made it necessary to reform a nearby canning factory for use as a terminal.
In July 1957, French and Spanish delegations met to agree the limitations for the use of the airport at Fuenterrabia. Under the agreement aeronautical limitations were given in June 1959, but the use of the airport by recreational aircraft was not allowed.
In July 1961, works were completed to extend the runway to 1,500 metres. In May 1963, the airport was classified as a customs airport. Between 1964 and 1965, the control tower was built, the aircraft parking extended, and it became officially named San Sebastian Airport. In 1967 the works for the terminal building and hard landscaping were begun. These were inaugurated in 1968. In December 1969, the airport was closed to traffic to extend the runway to its present 1,754 metres.
On 18 March 1992, Spain and France signed a new agreement regulating the use of San Sebastian Airport, which lifted the prohibition for jet-engine aircraft to use the airport. A maximum daily amount of movements was established, outside night time hours, for twelve MD-88 aircraft and twelve type BAE-146 movements.
In July of 1996, the VOR/DME situated 5.07 kilometres from threshold 04 and with identifier SSN, came into service. A new NDB/DME came into service in August 1997, situated in heading 355, 2.7 kilometres from threshold 22, with identifier HIG.
If you would like more information, you can acquire the work by Luis Utrilla, Historia de los aeropuertos de San Sebastián (History of the San Sebastián airports).
With the help of