History

The first aeronautical event on the island of El Hierro occurred on 12 December 1955 when a helicopter flew to the island, in what was also the first search and rescue operation in the Canary Islands, to airlift a sick person off the island.

Studies for the localisation of an airport began in 1962. Due to the complicated relief of the island, the options were limited and in the end an area on the coast was chosen, known as Llano de los Cangrejos, situated in the northeast of the island, close to its capital, Valverde.

At the end of 1968 work began on runway 16-34, an aircraft platform and a passenger terminal. In 1972, a transmitter station was built, following which the airport was inaugurated on 12 December of that same year. It was opened to national domestic passenger and cargo traffic and classified as third category.

In 1975 the first radio-electric facilities were installed in the airport and in 1977 the runway was extended. The airport's aeronautical limitations were published in 1986.

In 1990 a new control tower was built and the passenger terminal renovated. During 1991 and 1992 the runway was extended. Finally, the current passenger terminal was built.

The first aeronautical event on the island of El Hierro occurred on 12 December 1955 when a helicopter flew to the island, in what was also the first search and rescue operation in the Canary Islands, to airlift a sick person off the island.

Studies for the localisation of an airport began in 1962. Due to the complicated relief of the island, the options were limited and in the end an area on the coast was chosen, known as Llano de los Cangrejos, situated in the northeast of the island, close to its capital, Valverde.

At the end of 1968 work began on runway 16-34, an aircraft platform and a passenger terminal. In 1972, a transmitter station was built, following which the airport was inaugurated on 12 December of that same year. It was opened to national domestic passenger and cargo traffic and classified as third category.

In 1975 the first radio-electric facilities were installed in the airport and in 1977 the runway was extended. The airport's aeronautical limitations were published in 1986.

In 1990 a new control tower was built and the passenger terminal renovated. During 1991 and 1992 the runway was extended. Finally, the current passenger terminal was built.

The first aeronautical event on the island of El Hierro occurred on 12 December 1955 when a helicopter flew to the island, in what was also the first search and rescue operation in the Canary Islands, to airlift a sick person off the island.

Studies for the localisation of an airport began in 1962. Due to the complicated relief of the island, the options were limited and in the end an area on the coast was chosen, known as Llano de los Cangrejos, situated in the northeast of the island, close to its capital, Valverde.

At the end of 1968 work began on runway 16-34, an aircraft platform and a passenger terminal. In 1972, a transmitter station was built, following which the airport was inaugurated on 12 December of that same year. It was opened to national domestic passenger and cargo traffic and classified as third category.

In 1975 the first radio-electric facilities were installed in the airport and in 1977 the runway was extended. The airport's aeronautical limitations were published in 1986.

In 1990 a new control tower was built and the passenger terminal renovated. During 1991 and 1992 the runway was extended. Finally, the current passenger terminal was built.