In 1914, the first plane to link the peninsula and Morocco landed at the makeshift Tablada aerodrome –provided the previous year for an air festival-, after which the Seville City Council gave up a 240,000-square-meter plot to the Military Aeronautical Service. for the construction of an airfield. The conditioning works began in 1915 and, that same year, it began to be used for the training of pilots and observers.
In 1919, the first commercial flights linking Seville and Madrid were carried out. The following year, the postal airline between Seville and Larache was established and, in 1921, the first Spanish commercial Seville-Larache. In 1923, various facilities, hangars, workshops and premises were inaugurated and the construction of a municipal airport in Tablada was approved, at one end of the airfield of the military airfield, with dimensions of 750 by 500 meters.
In April 1927, the Unión Aérea Española company established the Madrid-Seville-Lisbon airline. In February 1929, the Seville airport project was approved and, in March, the Tablada aerodrome was opened to navigation and air traffic, determining that it would stop providing this service as soon as the projected airport was built.
In 1929, the first Madrid-Seville flight was made and, in 1930, it was extended to the Canary Islands. In February 1931, the Berlin-Barcelona line reached Seville. In December 1933, the LAPE company inaugurated the Seville-Canarias line.
During the civil war, Seville was the arrival point for African troops, while Iberia provided air transport services with the Tetuán-Seville-Vitoria, Seville-Salamanca and Seville-Larache-Las Palmas lines.
In September 1945, work began on the Seville transoceanic airport, building runways 05-23, 02-20, and 09-27. A year later, it is classified as customs and runways 05-23 and 02-20 are paved. In 1948, a gonio was installed and the beaconing was completed, renamed tracks 04-22, 18-36 and 09-27. In 1956, runway 09-27 was extended, turning 18-36 into a taxiway.
In 1957, the terminal building works, as well as those of the control tower. Seville airport is included in the Hispanic American Agreement to install a supply base there. The facilities are developed in the vicinity of threshold 04, so this track is out of service.
In 1965 an ILS was installed. Between 1971 and 1975, the terminal area was remodeled, the parking lot was expanded, a new terminal building was built, and new entrances were developed and prepared.
In 1989, with a view to the 1992 Universal Exposition, the platform was extended, a new access was built from the national road N-IV, as well as a new terminal building and a new control tower to the south of the runway. On July 31, 1991, the new facilities were inaugurated.