Entry into Spain

In order to prove their identity, foreigners who wish to travel to Spain must carry one of the following travel documents:

  • Current and valid passport. Children under 16 years old can be included in the passport of their parents.
  • Current and valid ticket for travel.
  • National identity document, identification card or any other current document that proves their identity and that is considered valid for entry into Spanish territory, under Spain's international agreements.

The travel document must be valid for at least three months after the scheduled date of departure from Schengen territory and must have been issued within 10 years prior to the date of entry.

Other entry requirements

  • Citizens of third countries included in the list of countries subject to the visa requirement will also need a current visa, unless they have a valid residence permit or a valid long-term visa issued by another EU member state.
  • Proof of sufficient financial means to stay in Spain and return or travel to another country.
  • Documentary proof of the reasons for entry.
  • Showing health certificates, where applicable.
  • Not be subject to a ban on entry.
  • Not pose a danger to public health, public order, national security or Spain's international relations, or those of other countries with which Spain has an agreement to this effect.
  • Letter of invitation, with information about the existence of certain accommodation for the foreigner, and whether or not the accommodation covers all or part of their subsistence.

You can find more information about all of these requirements on the Ministry of the Interior website.

Foreigners may travel on domestic flights and to countries in the EU and the European Economic Area with their residence card or NIE under European rules.

Airport transit visa

Foreigners authorised to remain in the international transit area of a Spanish airport, without entering the national territory, during flight layovers or connections, are in airport transit.

For more information on airport transit visas, check the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, European Union and Cooperation website.