Transport contract

If you consider that the conditions of your transport contract have not been fulfilled satisfactorily (due to delays, loss or damage to baggage, timetable changes, poor service, unscheduled stopovers, etc.) you can write a letter of complaint or use the complaint forms provided by the airline companies for this purpose.

Your complaint should be addressed to the airline if you have only booked transport, to the organisers and retailers (travel agencies) when the flight is part of a package trip.

In accordance with European Community legislation and the Montreal Convention, if the airline responsible for the flight is not the same as the airline you made your booking with, you can file a complaint to either one of the two. If the name or code of an airline appears on the ticket, this is the airline you made the booking with.

In order to make it easier for their passengers to make their complaints, airlines normally provide complaint forms that can be found at their information or ticket desks. You can use these forms to make a complaint about the unsatisfactory service of the airline you have booked your flight with. Remember that, in any case and even if the airline does not provide complaint forms, you can send a letter of complaint to the airline or send your complaint by e-mail or through the company's website if this possibility is available.

When you make your complaint, please write legibly, clearly and concisely, giving specific information on the events that have occurred. Don't forget to include your personal details and postal address so that the airline can reply to you as quickly as possible.

When you consider that you have not received adequate compensation for the damages the company has caused despite your claim, you can apply to the Courts of Justice to determine the possible appropriate liabilities and compensation.

Flight cancellation, denied boarding or long delays

If you are denied boarding, your flight is cancelled or there is a significant delay and the company in charge of making the flight does not meet its obligations, make a complaint to the airline responsible for the flight.

If you receive no response from the airline after a reasonable time or you are not in agreement with the answer received and, additionally, the incident took place in a Spanish airport or on a flight from a third country and the company was a European Community company, you can complain to the Spanish Air Safety Agency (AESA), of the Ministry of Public Works. For your convenience, you can use the form available on the AESA website, sending them along with a copy of the complaint previously sent to the airline.

The Spanish Air Safety Agency is responsible in Spain for compliance with Regulation (EC) 261/2004 of the European Parliament and of the Council, of 11 February 2004 (in force from 17 February 2005), establishing common rules on compensation and assistance to passengers in the event of denied boarding and of cancellation or long delay of flights. They carry out the appropriate inspections and, where applicable, sanction the airlines for not fulfilling their obligations.

Limitation or exclusion of liability

Under some circumstances the air carrier is  released from his obligations towards the passengers  or these can be limited. These circumstances are described in the European Regulation  261/2004 establishing common rules on compensation and assistance to passengers, which may be found attached at the bottom of this page. Here below you may read an extract from it: 

"As under the Montreal Convention, obligations on operating air carriers should be limited or excluded in cases where an event has been caused by extraordinary circumstances which could not have been avoided even if all reasonable measures had been taken. Such circumstances may, in particular, occur in cases of political instabilitymeteorological conditions incompatible with the operation of the flight concerned, security risks, unexpected flight safety shortcomings and strikes that affect the operation of an operating air carrier."

If you wish to ask for more information on the subject you may contact the Agencia Estatal de Seguridad Aérea (AESA) (State Agency for Air Security), reporting to the Ministry of Development.

Should you need to request information on the weather conditions on a given day you may contact the AEMET (Agencia Estatal de Meteorología) State Meteorological Agency.

Airport services

On Aena's Complaints/Claims Forms, which you will find at the airport information desks, and in the Online Services Portal web you can make all types of complaints, claims or suggestions concerning airport services (cleaning, information service, etc.).

The catering (cafeterias, restaurants, etc.) and commercial services have their own official catering trade book where you can make your complaint.

Bear in mind that written complaints are also an effective way of helping us to improve the services we offer you.

Remember that filing a complaint, for whatever reason, does not prevent you taking other types of action, whether legal or administrative, nor does it interrupt established deadlines.