The airport has implemented an environmental management system that enables each of the environmental aspects arising from its activities to be studied.
The Palma de Mallorca Airport has implemented an environmental management system which permits the stringent, documented and co-ordinated study of each of the environmental aspects which arise from the activities carried out, identifying those which have or may have a significant impact on the environment.
On 12 July 2002, the Palma de Mallorca Airport obtained the ISO 14001 environmental management certificate, issued by AENOR (Spanish Standards and Certification Association).
This certification internationally recognises and validates the work and actions carried out by Palma de Mallorca concerning the environment.
Although the scope of this environmental management system is restricted to airport activities, the contribution of other companies that work in the airport installations is essential. As such, a series of environmental clauses are now attached to all contracts and environmental monitoring of their facilities is conducted to ensure common goals for all concerned.
Palma de Mallorca Airport, in keeping with Aena's environmental quality policy, undertakes to:
- Ensuring compliance with the requirements of applicable legislation and environmental regulations.
- Carrying out the environmental policy by implementing a structured, documented environmental management system which allows achievement of the environmental objectives and goals set and its periodical review, thus committing itself to continuous improvement.
- Review the environmental policy periodically to adapt it to new environmental demands.
- Informing all employees, contractors and concessionaires at the airport of the environmental policy.
- Making Aena-Palma de Mallorca Airport staff more aware by means of environmental awareness and training programmes.
- Preventing pollution in environmental aspects arising from operations and activities conducted by Aena-Palma de Mallorca Airport and studying and promoting all the measures within its abilities to minimise the impact of other agents affect it.