Aena is recognised by society as a responsible and excellent company.
Awards and recognition for Aena
Aena received various awards recognising it as an excellent and socially responsible company. These are the awards and recognition it has received since 2009:
- Adolfo Suárez Madrid-Barajas airport is chosen by users as the Best Airport in Southern Europe at the World Airport Awards 2017, managed by Skytrax, an airport research and studies consultant firm. Barcelona-El Prat airport came in second place in the general ranking.
- Aena has been included in the top 100 companies in terms of Corporate Governance and Responsibility for the first time, occupying second place in the infrastructure sector and 36th in the general ranking, according to the report produced by Merco (Corporate Reputation Monitor).
- Murcia-San Javier Airport has been named best European airport in the under two million passenger category for the second time, at the ASQ (Airport Service Quality) awards given by the Airports Council International (ACI).
- The president of Aena, José Manuel Vargas, ranked sixth among the 50 best CEOs of Spain in 2016, according to the list developed by Forbes.
- Aena receives the Xavier del Turismo-HTS 2016 prize, in the Professional category, which was awarded by the Facultad de Turismo y Dirección Hotelera Sant Ignasi (HTSI) at Barcelona's Ramon Llull University, for its CR commitment to accessible tourism.
- Aena has been chosen as one of the most desirable companies to work for by Spanish university students, according to the 2016 Most Attractive Employers survey, undertaken by Universum, given the responses of more than 24,000 students of Business Studies, Engineering, Natural and Health Sciences at 45 Spanish universities.
- Aena takes second place among the companies in its sector (Infrastructure, services and construction) in the corporate reputation ranking designed by Merco (Corporate Reputation Monitor). In the Merco Talent ranking, which ranks company reputation according to labour quality, employer branding and internal reputation, Aena takes third place in its sector.
- Airline Network News and Analysis (www.anna.aero) recognises the airport Adolfo Suárez Madrid-Barajas as the European airport with the greatest number of operating long haul routes in 2015 and Alicante-Elche airport as having achieved the greatest increase in new airlines.
- The president and CEO of Aena, José Manuel Vargas, is elected executive of 2015 by the Spanish Directors' Association (AED).
- The airports Adolfo Suárez Madrid-Barajas and Barcelona-El Prat have been recognised in IATA's X World Cargo Symposium for their collaboration with and support of the pharmaceutical logistics freight operator certification project on behalf of the companies that operate in their facilities.
- The business logistics organisation of Spain (UNO) has awarded Aena for its promotion and development of the air freight facilities.
- Palma de Mallorca airport receives recognition from the Federación Empresarial Balear de Transportes (Balearics Business Federation for Transport) for good institutional relations and excellent numbers of traffic recorded.
- The Spanish Institute of Financial Studies (IEAF) awards Aena its 2015 Gold Distinction for its management as a leading Spanish company in terms of global capitalisation , for being able to take advantage of stock markets to develop its strategy.
- The president and CEO of Aena, José Manuel Vargas, has been recognised as the most important personality of the year in the economic-financial field in the 5th Edition of elEconomista’s Economics Night.
- Jerez, La Palma and Melilla airports have received various acknowledgements from theNational Police Corps for collaboration and support with several institutions.
- Cruz Roja Bizkaia recognises Bilbao airport among the companies and entities collaborating with the institution's charity work in 2014.
- The Adolfo Suárez Madrid-Barajas airport is recognised with the Award for Excellence in Safety in the Community of Madrid (Transport Section) which is awarded each year by the radio programme ‘Protegidos’ on the radio station Cope Madrid Sur.
- Adolfo Suárez Madrid-Barajas airport is chosen as the best airport in Southern Europeat the Skytrax World Airport Awards 2015. Barcelona-El Prat airport received second prize in the same category.
- Murcia-San Javier Airport has been named best European airport in the under two million passenger category, at the ASQ (Airport Service Quality) awards given by the Airports Council International (ACI).
- Adolfo Suárez Madrid-Barajas Airport was given the Tribute to the Madrid Tourism Sector Award at Fitur by Madrid City Council for its valuable contribution to the international profile of the city of Madrid as a tourist destination.
- Almería airport is awarded by FAAM (Almería's Federation of Disabled People's Associations) for the work of its "Sin Barreras" service helping people with reduced mobility.
- The "Sin Barreras" service for assisting people with reduced mobility provided at the Melilla airport receives the CERMI Melilla 2014 award by the Spanish Committee of Disabled People's Representatives (CERMI).
- Menorca airport is the highest rated among the 55 international airports evaluated in a satisfaction survey given to Thomson Airways passengers.
- Adolfo Suárez Madrid-Barajas airport receives the International Airport of the Year award in the 'Large Airport' category (for airports with over 25 million passengers) by the aeronautical consultancy firm CAPA-Centre for Aviation.
- NGO Aldeas Infantiles acknowledges the work of Barcelona-El Prat airport for collaborating with the organisation's programmes for children and young people.
- Aena receives first prize in the "Rapid Delivery" category at the fifth edition of the SAP Quality Awards 2014 in recognition of the quality of the projects to implement SAP solutions in Spain and Portugal.
- Aena receives a prize for its contribution to the work of the National Transplant Organisation (ONT) in transferring organs for transplanting.
- Alicante-Elche airport receives the City of Benidorm Tourism Award.
- Málaga-Costa del Sol airport receives the Airport Food Court of the Year award at The Airport Food & Beverage Conference and Awards 2014. Meanwhile, Kirei by Kabuki restaurant at Adolfo Suárez Madrid-Barajas airport receives second prize in the category Airport Chef-Led and/or Fine Dining Offer of the Year.
- The Regional Ministry for Equality, Health and Social Policies of the Government of Andalusia recognises the work carried out by Federico Lorca Granada-Jaén Airport in transporting organs and medical personnel for transplant operations.
- For the third year running, Barcelona-El Prat airport has received the best airport in Southern Europe award presented by Skytrax in the framework of the 2014 World Airport Awards.
- Aena receives the Second Opportunity award for converting its facilities into heart protection areas, thereby contributing to the resuscitation of individuals suffering a cardiac arrest.
- Aena support service for people with reduced mobility is awarded first prize for the best public service in the United Nations Public Service Awards 2013.
- The Pau Casals VIP lounge at Barcelona-El Prat Airport receives the 2013 Global Lounge of the Year Award from the members of Priority Pass. The VIP lounge at Málaga-Costa del Sol Airport was also recognised as the most recommendable in Europe in 2013.
- Aena has won the 2013 Randstad Award as one of the most attractive Spanish companies for workers in the aviation and transport sector.
- Terminal T4 of Madrid-Barajas Airport is chosen as the third best airport terminal in the world in the 2013 World Airport Awards, which are awarded by the airport research and study agency Skytrax.
- Barcelona-El Prat, Adolfo Suárez Madrid-Barajas and Palma de Mallorca Airports are among the ten best in Southern Europe according to the annual survey by Skytrax conducted among 12 million passengers.
- Swiss International Airlines awards the 'Station of the year 2011' prize to the service provided for passengers at Málaga-Costa del Sol Airport in 2011, as the highest quality of the European airports where it operates.
- Adolfo Suárez Madrid-Barajas Airport receives the 'Gold Fast Travel Award’ from the International Air Transport Association (IATA) in recognition of the measures adopted, in collaboration with Iberia, to make airport formalities easier and faster for passengers.
- The company Jet2.com awarded a prize to Alicante Airport and Aena for their contribution to safety in all operations processes.
- Barcelona-El Prat Airport received the 2012 Euro Annie award from the digital publication Airline Network News & Analysis as the airport with most passenger growth in Europe in the top category (more than 10 million passengers).
- The magazine Actualidad Económica recognises the initiative "Catering in Aena", to renew the image of airport catering, as one of 'The best 100 ideas of 2011'.
- For the second year running, Barcelona-El Prat airport has received the award for best airport in Southern Europe presented by Skytrax in the framework of the World Airport Awards 2012.
- The Aena project Parte de todos (Part of all) was a finalist in the 3rd Corresponsables Awards.
- Palma de Majorca Airport receives the Airport Service Quality Awards'' (ASQ Awards) in the category of "Best Improvement." Given by ACI (Airports Council International), the award recognises excellence in passenger services and positions the Majorca airport as the European aerodrome which has most improved in terms of overall passenger satisfaction from 2010 to 2011.
- Adolfo Suárez Madrid-Barajas airport receives the 'Pilot Friendly’ Award from the Sindicato Español de Pilotos de Líneas Aéreas (Spanish Union of Airline Pilots, SEPLA).
- Asturias Airport received the Aspaym Principado de Asturias Accessibility Award in its category A for "the ongoing improvement in attending to the accessibility needs of the whole population, and the high level of user satisfaction".
- Palma de Majorca Airport receives recognition from the Majorca Chamber of Commerce, Industry and Navigation as one of the main drivers of the island's economy, and for its track record and integration into the island's society.
- The Ministry of Territorial Policy and Public Administration presents Aena with the Citizenship Award for Best Practices in Public Services for its services to people with reduced mobility (PRM), part of the 2010 Awards for Quality and Innovation in Public Management.
- Adolfo Suárez Madrid-Barajas Airport received the 2011 Global Airport award from the Institute of Transport Management (ITM) for its "leading position among the world's airports".
- The new terminal at Alicante Airport received the award of the Civil Engineering Federation of the Province of Alicante (FOPA) for the best public civil engineering project in the province in 2010.
- Barcelona-El Prat Airport has been recognised as the best airport in Southern Europe in the 2011 World Airport Awards.
- Barcelona-El Prat Airport received the 2011 Routes Europe Award for best marketing of an airport in the Mediterranean and Southern Europe.
- Alicante and Valencia airports received a prize for obtaining and maintaining AENOR certification for their environmental management and quality systems (Fitur).
- Aena received the Telefónica Ability Award in the category of best public institution.
- Award given by the Association of Hotel Owners of the Costa del Sol to the best tourism company promoting the Costa del Sol.
- 2009 Excellence in Public Management Award given to Ibiza Airport.
- 'Cermi.es 2010' award for the category of "universal accessibility".
- Runner-up prize in the Large Company category of the Incorpora awards of Fundación La Caixa to Barcelona Airport for its workforce integration programme.
- 'Gran Slam Award' to Madrid-Barajas airport given by Delta Airlines, for its effectiveness in contributing to the excellent day-to-day operation of the company.
- Consell Insular award to Ibiza Airport for its work in developing tourism.
- Thomas Cook Airlines recognises Reus Airport as one of the 10 best.
- Palma de Mallorca Airport received the AENOR ER award in recognition of its good quality management system, which also rates the ongoing improvement of the quality of airport services.
- Barcelona-El Prat Airport received the award for best airport in Europe handling more than 25 million passengers from ACI Europe.
- Aena joined the Club de Excelencia en Sostenibilidad (sustainability excellence).
- Alicante Airport accepted the Prever 2010 award in the category of Companies and Institutions for its work publicising and implementing the prevention of workplace hazards in its facilities, awarded by the Consejo General de Relaciones Industriales y Licenciados en Ciencias del Trabajo (General Council of Industrial Relations and Labour Sciences).
- Granada City Council's Fire-Fighting and Civil Protection Services present a plaque to FGL Granada-Jaén airport for its collaboration with their institutions in areas such as self-protection and training.
- The extension of Málaga-Costa del Sol Airport received the 'Apuesta por Andalucía' award from the magazine Andalucía Económica.
- Málaga-Costa del Sol Airport received the 'Sur.es' prize awarded by the Málaga newspaper Sur for the best institutional website.
- Aena's Director of Information Systems received the 2010 'Alta Dirección' award from Fundación Dintel.
- Barcelona-El Prat Airport was awarded the Metopa de Honor by the publishing group Men-Car, in recognition of the successful opening of terminal T1.
- Terminal T1 of Barcelona-El Prat Airport won the award for Best Public Initiative given by the magazine Actualidad Económica.
- Reus Airport won the 'Distinguido del Turismo' award for the company's public profile in the third Business Evening organised by Salou City Council.
- Aena's public website was chosen as one of the best websites under the ".es" top level domain in the last 20 years by the public business entity Red.es, which forms part of the Ministry of Industry, Tourism and Trade.
- The Association of Marble Entrepreneurs gave an award to the new Terminal of Almería Airport in the category of 'National Building' for its use of Macael marble.
- Barcelona-El Prat Airport accepted the first prize for the best crisis situation management and communications plan, in the first edition of the Premis Gabinets de Comunicació del Col•legi de Periodistes de Catalunya.
- Barcelona-El Prat Airport's terminal T1 received the award for the best Spanish project of the year at the Barcelona Meeting Point (property fair).
- Zaragoza Airport was a runner-up for the 2009 Prize for Business Excellence in Aragón.
- Aena received the Silver Medal of the University of Alcalá in recognition of its collaboration with the students of the university.
- Adolfo Suárez Madrid-Barajas Airport and Barcelona-El Prat Airport were chosen by travel agents and tourism industry professionals worldwide as candidates for the 2009 best airport in Europe in the World Travel Awards.
- Aena was chosen as one of the best companies to work in by the magazine Actualidad Económica.
- Barcelona-El Prat Airport received the award for Excellence in Logistics from the Fundación ICIL for its procedural tests in terminal T1.
- Palma de Mallorca Airport won the award for best airport of ACI Europe 2008 in the category of 10 to 25 million passengers a year.
- Barcelona-El Prat Airport was recognised as the best cargo airport of 2009 handling more than 100,000 tonnes by the journal Air Cargo News.
- The fire-fighters of Adolfo Suárez Madrid-Barajas Airport won the 'Pie Derecho' 2009 award, given by the radio station Cadena 100 for their action after the Spanair accident of 20 August 2008.
- Aena won the 2008 Asociación de Empresarios del Henares award for the sustained and exemplary contribution by institutions to the economic revitalisation of the Henares corridor.
- Ibiza Airport received the Premi Balear d'Excel•lencia en la Gestió 2009 awarded by the Government of the Balearic Islands through the Institut d'Innovació Empresarial de les Illes Balears.
- The Aena pavilion at Fitur obtained a special mention in the category of 'Companies and Organisations'.