Frequently asked questions

VAT refund 

Responses to doubts and questions raised by passengers at the airport and during the flight.


Can I claim back VAT on any articles I buy in Spain as I am not a Spanish resident? How do I go about it?

Spanish subjects or foreigners who do not reside in Spain or in the EC and are going to a third country, as well as residents from the Canary Islands, Ceuta and Melilla, are entitled to the refund of the Value Added Tax (VAT) they paid on any goods purchased in the rest of the country.

If the passenger is travelling to a non-EC country, he must first show the merchandise in question and stamp the corresponding receipts at airport customs before checking in his luggage. If the article is to be taken aboard as hand luggage, the above must be carried out at the window of the restricted zone. Once the receipt has been stamped, it must be put into an envelope and sent to the seller's address. The corresponding amount will be sent to the passenger by the seller.

If the passenger is resident and is travelling to Ceuta, Melilla or to the Canary Islands, the above procedure must be carried out at the destination airport. Upon arrival, he must go to the Civil Guard Registrar in Melilla and Ceuta or to the Canary Island Government Office and show the receipts and goods bought. The passenger must also go through Customs with his receipts, where they will again be stamped. Afterwards, the receipts must be sent to the seller for the pertinent refund. Only the refund of those receipts with a minimum value of 90.16 Euros will be processed.

New Window Aena eGovernment

Frequently Asked Questions

Answers to your questions about airports and flights.

New Window Plan Turismo Seguro
New Window Request assistance

Telephone support: 902 404 704 / (+34) 91 321 10 00 Persons with impaired hearing

Follow us:

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Youtube
  • Google+
  • Pinterest
  • LinkedIn