Awards and recognition
Aena is recognised by society as a responsible and excellent company.
Awards and recognition for Aena
Aena has received numerous awards acknowledging it as an excellent, socially responsible company. These are the awards and recognitions it has received since 2009:
- Málaga-Costa del Sol airport receives the Airport Food Court of the Year award, part of The Airport Food & Beverage Conference and Awards 2014. The restaurant Kirei by Kabuki at Adolfo Suárez Madrid-Barajas airport receives the second award of Airport Chef-Led and/or Fine Dinning Offer of the Year.
- The Regional Ministry for Equality, Health and Social Policies of the Government of Andalusia recognises the work carried out by Federico Lorca Granada-Jaén Airport in transporting organs and medical personnel for transplant operations.
- For the third year running, Barcelona-El Prat airport has received the best airport in Southern Europe award presented by Skytrax in the framework of the 2014 World Airport Awards.
- Aena receives the Second Opportunity award for converting its facilities to heart protection areas, thereby contributing to the resucitation of individuals in cardiac arrest.
- Aena Aeropuertos' support service for people with reduced mobility is awarded the first prize for the best public service in the United Nations Public Service Awards 2013.
- The Pau Casals VIP lounge at Barcelona-El Prat Airport receives the 2013 Global Lounge of the Year Award from the members of Priority Pass. The VIP lounge at Málaga-Costa del Sol Airport was also recognised as the most recommendable in Europe in 2013.
- Aena has won the 2013 Randstad Award as one of the most attractive Spanish companies for workers in the aviation and transport sector.
- Terminal T4 of Madrid-Barajas Airport is chosen as the third best airport terminal in the world in the 2013 World Airport Awards, which are awarded by the airport research and study agency Skytrax.
- Barcelona-El Prat, Madrid-Barajas and Palma de Mallorca Airports are among the ten best in Southern Europe according to the annual survey by Skytrax conducted among 12 million passengers.
- Swiss International Airlines awards the 'Station of the year 2011' prize to the service provided for passengers at Malaga-Costa del Sol Airport in 2011, as the highest quality of the European airports where it operates.
- Adolfo Suárez Madrid-Barajas Airport receives the 'Gold Fast Travel Award' from the International Air Transport Association (IATA) in recognition of the measures adopted, in collaboration with Iberia, to make airport formalities easier and faster for passengers.
- The company Jet2.com awarded a prize to Alicante Airport and Aena Aeropuertos for their contribution to safety in all operations processes.
- Barcelona-El Prat Airport received the 2012 Euro Annie award from the digital publication Airline Network News & Analysis as the airport with most passenger growth in Europe in the top category (more than 10 million passengers).
- The magazine Actualidad Económica recognises the initiative "Catering in Aena", to renew the image of airport catering, as one of 'The best 100 ideas of 2011'.
- For the second year running, Barcelona-El Prat airport has received the award of best airport in Southern Europe presented by Skytrax in the framework of the World Airport Awards 2012.
- Aena Aeropuertos' project Parte de todos (Part of all) was a finalist in the 3rd Corresponsables Awards.
- Palma de Majorca Airport receives the 'Airport Service Quality Awards' (ASQ Awards), in the category of 'Best Improvement'. Given by ACI (Airports Council International), the award recognises excellence in passenger services and positions the Majorca airport as the European aerodrome which has most improved in terms of overall passenger satisfaction from 2010 to 2011.
- Adolfo Suárez Madrid-Barajas airport receives the 'Pilot Friendly' Award' from the Sindicato Español de Pilotos de Líneas Aéreas (Spanish Union of Airline Pilots, SEPLA).
- Asturias Airport received the Aspaym Principado de Asturias Accessibility Award in its category A for "the ongoing improvement in attending to the accessibility needs of the whole population, and the high level of user satisfaction".
- Palma de Majorca Airport receives an award from the Majorca Chamber of Commerce, Industry and Navigation as one of the main drivers of the island's economy, and for its track record and its integration in the island's society.
- The Ministry of Territorial Policy and Public Administration presents Aena with the Citizenship Award for Best Practices in Public Services for its services to people with reduced mobility (PRM), part of the 2010 Awards for Quality and Innovation in Public Management.
- Adolfo Suárez Madrid-Barajas Airport received the 2011 Global Airport award from the Institute of Transport Management (ITM) for its "leading position among the world's airports".
- The new terminal at Alicante Airport received the award of the Civil Engineering Federation of the Province of Alicante (FOPA) for the best public civil engineering project in the province in 2010.
- Barcelona-El Prat Airport has been recognised as the best airport in Southern Europe in the 2011 World Airport Awards.
- Barcelona-El Prat Airport received the 2011 Routes Europe Award for best marketing of an airport in the Mediterranean and Southern Europe.
- Alicante and Valencia airports received a prize for obtaining and maintaining AENOR certification for their environmental management and quality systems (Fitur).
- Aena received the Telefónica Ability Award in the category of best public institution.
- Award given by the Association of Hotel Owners of the Costa del Sol to the best tourism company promoting the Costa del Sol.
- The 2009 Award for Excellence in Public Management was given to Ibiza Airport.
- The 'Cermi.es 2010' award in the category of "universal accessibility".
- Runner-up prize in the Large Company category of the Incorpora awards of Fundación La Caixa to Barcelona Airport for its workforce integration programme.
- 'Gran Slam Award' to Madrid-Barajas airport given by Delta Airlines, for its effectiveness in contributing to the excellent day-to-day operation of the company.
- Consell Insular award to Ibiza Airport for its work in developing tourism.
- Thomas Cook Airlines recognises Reus Airport as one of the 10 best.
- Palma de Majorca Airport received the AENOR ER award in recognition of its quality management system and the ongoing improvement in the quality of airport services.
- Barcelona-El Prat Airport received the award for best airport in Europe handling more than 25 million passengers from ACI Europe.
- Aena joins the Excellence in Sustainability Club.
- Alicante Airport received the Prever 2010 award in the category of Companies and Institutions for its work publicising and implementing the prevention of occupational hazards in its facilities. The award was given by the Consejo General de Relaciones Industriales y Licenciados en Ciencias del Trabajo (General Council of Industrial Relations and Labour Sciences).
- Granada's Fire-Fighting and Civil Protection Service presented a plaque to FGL Granada-Jaén Airport for its collaboration with these institutions in areas such as self-protection and training.
- The extension of Malaga-Costa del Sol Airport received the 'Apuesta por Andalucía' award from the magazine Andalucía Económica.
- Malaga-Costa del Sol Airport received the 'Sur.es' prize given by the Malaga newspaper Sur for the best institutional website.
- Aena's Director of Information Systems received the 2010 'Alta Dirección' award from Fundación Dintel.
- Barcelona-El Prat Airport was awarded the Metopa de Honor by the publishing group Men-Car, in recognition of the successful opening of terminal T1.
- Terminal T1 of Barcelona-El Prat Airport won the award for Best Public Initiative given by the magazine Actualidad Económica.
- Reus Airport won the 'Distinguido del Turismo' award for the company's public profile in the third Business Evening organised by Salou City Council.
- Aena's public website was chosen as one of the twenty best websites under the '.es' top-level domain in the last 20 years by the public business entity Red.es, which is part of the Ministry of Industry, Tourism and Trade.
- The Association of Marble Companies has given an award to the new Terminal of Almería Airport in the category of 'National Building' for its use of Macael marble.
- Barcelona-El Prat Airport accepted the first prize for the best crisis situation management and communications plan, in the first edition of the Premis Gabinets de Comunicació del Col•legi de Periodistes de Catalunya.
- Barcelona-El Prat Airport's terminal T1 received the award for the best Spanish project of the year at the Barcelona Meeting Point (property fair).
- Zaragoza Airport was a runner-up for the 2009 Prize for Business Excellence in Aragón.
- Aena received the Silver Medal of the University of Alcalá in recognition of its collaboration with the students of the university.
- Adolfo Suárez Madrid-Barajas Airport and Barcelona-El Prat Airport were chosen by travel agents and tourism industry professionals worldwide as candidates for the 2009 best airport in Europe in the World Travel Awards.
- Aena was chosen as one of the best companies to work in by the magazine Actualidad Económica.
- Barcelona-El Prat Airport received the award for Excellence in Logistics from the Fundación ICIL for its procedural tests in terminal T1.
- Palma de Majorca Airport won the 2008 award for best airport of Airports Council International Europe in the category of 10 to 25 million passengers a year.
- Barcelona-El Prat Airport was recognised as the best cargo airport of 2009 handling more than 100,000 tonnes by the journal Air Cargo News.
- The fire-fighters of Adolfo Suárez Madrid-Barajas Airport won the 'Pie Derecho' 2009 award, given by the radio station Cadena 100 for their action after the Spanair accident of 20 August 2008.
- Aena won the 2008 Asociación de Empresarios del Henares award for the sustained and exemplary contribution by institutions to the economic revitalisation of the Henares corridor.
- Ibiza Airport received the Premi Balear d'Excel•lencia en la Gestió 2009 awarded by the Government of the Balearic Islands through the Institut d'Innovació Empresarial de les Illes Balears.
- The Aena pavilion at Fitur obtained a special mention in the category of 'Companies and Organisations'.